It is very common for us humans to lose our belongings if we tend to be inattentive to it.If you’re like most dog owners, your pooch is part of the family, have you wondered where did your dog run off to? Pod is one of the smallest and lightest GPS tracker plus activity monitors for dogs. The device lets you locate your pet on demand, monitor their activity and record adventures on a smartphone or computer.
The name of this device may be reminiscent of Apple’s highly successful music player, but this Pod is a cat tracker. Made by Australian developers as a result of a very successful Indiegogo campaign earlier this year, Pod is a cylindrical GPS pet tracker that’s about the size of a 35mm film canister (remember those?) or a wine bottle cork. The shape may seem strange at first, but Pod’s lack of sharp edges actually make it a really good product design.
Pod is super lightweight at just 29g, making it ideal for cats, though of course it can be used for dogs too. It’s five centimetres long with a diameter that’s just over two centimetres. It’s waterproof and easily attaches to your kitty’s collar, and the battery should last up to a week, depending on signal and usage.
There’s a corresponding app for iOS and Android, a web tool, and a Windows phone app in development. Using one of these will give you real time location information plus activity details (kind of like a Fitbit for cats). You can also set up virtual fences, define safe zones, and turn on perimeter and escape alerts. There’s also a social component, believe it or not, so you can compare your pet’s speed, distance travelled, and other info with that of other pets.
- The new generation Pod 2 has Wi-Fi that delivers fast positions in that you can locate your pet indoors as well.
- The pet tracker has a locate now button that will display the current position of the pet upon request in real time on a map whether it is outdoors or indoors.
- It has escape alerts because you are able to set up safe zones for the pet which create some sort of a virtual fence for the pet and you are alerted when they stray.
- It makes it possible for you to unveil your pet adventures because you can track and sync the pet’s secret life using an app when they return.
- The tracker also monitors pet activity hence you are able to tell how fit and healthy the pet is depending on the activity level whether running, walking or resting.
- It has an ergonomic barrel designs that are tested for minimal impact with everyday pet use.
- The Pod 2 pet tracker has many benefits but it also has a few drawbacks that are also important to note.
- Some features are gimmicky and not that useful especially for adults like the activity level feature.
- Some of the collars are breakaway collars increasing chances of getting lost when they get caught up on items outdoors with the tracker attached.
- May be big or bulky for smaller cats.
- A bit more expensive upfront than other cat trackers.